Joe Public named Agency Group of the Year 2014
We have been named Agency Group of the Year 2014. The AdReview Awards are a symbol of the very highest creative achievement.
The Cape agencies cleaned up at the 2014 AdReview Awards last night with Ogilvy Cape Town winning agency of the year. Of the 20 awards, 12 were won by Cape Town agencies.
In the past South African advertising has generally been dominated by rivalries between two or three agencies fighting for dominance. First one, then the other, takes the lead, in the process building great businesses.
Going back to the Eighties, the Grey-Phhillips versus BBDO era gave way to Grey versus Ogilvy, then Ogilvy vs Hunt Lscaris, Hunt Lascaris vs Jupiter vs Net#work. In 2010, Jupiter and Hunt Lascaris were named jointly as agencies of the decade. Since then, however, the era of great rivalries seems to have come to an end. In the six years from 2009, no a;gency was named Agency of the Year more than once.
But could we now be seeing the start of a rivalry between Ogilvy Cape Town and Joe Public?
AdReview Awards winners
- Ad Agency of the Year: Ogilvy Cape Town
- Agency Group of the Year: Joe Public
- Marketer of the Year: Kevin Hedderwick – Famous Brands
- Creative Champion 2014: Ogilvy Cape Town
- Chairman’s Award: OMD
- Media Agency of the year: The Media Shop
- Agency Choices: Ogilvy Cape Town
- Large Agency of the Year: Ogilvy Cape Town
- Medium Size Agency of the Year: Ireland/Davenport
- IAS New Business Award: Volcano
- Advertising Achiever of the Year: Chris Gotz, Ogilvy Cape Town
- Digital and Integrated Agency: Hellocomputer
- Specialist Agency of the Year: 34
- Breakthrough Agency of the Year: OFyt
- Design Agency of the Year: Jupiter Cape Town
- PR Consultancy of the Year: Atmosphere
- Campaign: Tweeting Badger – Agencies FCB and Hellocomputer: Client Johannesburg Zoo
- Campaign: Sharing a Coke with Bobby – Agency: FCB Client Coca Cola
- Campaign: The Big Idea – Agency Native: Client Modjaji Books
Tony Koenderman has been producing the Adreview Annual almost every year since 1980. The Awards were introduced by Koenderman in 1997.
The AdReview Awards are recognised as a symbol of the very highest creative achievement in the advertising industry in South Africa. They give recognition to ad agencies that have performed best during the previous year.
Every possible measure of agency performance is used to decide which agency performed best across the full spectrum of possible activities. These are not purely creative awards, though creativity is one of the more important criteria for making the choice. The aim is also to inspire the industry to keep producing better and better campaigns.
Read the original article